28.9.06

My glory is nothing

Jesus answered, "If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing." (Jn 8:54a)


I was quite taken aback as I read these words this morning. Of course I have read them before, but I don't know if I ever stopped to think about them. This is Jesus, God incarnate, to whom all glory on heaven and earth belongs speaking. How could there ever be any circumstance or situation where his glory could be less than the awesome glory of heaven, let alone "nothing"? Yet Jesus clearly says that if he were to take any glory upon himself, even though he would be justified in doing so, that glory would be worthless and meaningless. The glory Jesus has, he has because it was given to him by someone else - his Father in heaven.

It made me think along the lines of Roger's last post. If Jesus could not take any honour or glory upon himself, even though he was entitled to it, how much less should we seek to take upon ourselves any ministry or title, label or office that has not been recognised by others. We may be correct in our estimation of our gift and anointing, we may have correctly identified our "ministry", but if we apply it ourselves it is worthless and means nothing.


Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. (Pr 27:2)


I'm impressed by the men of God I relate to. I can't recall a single time one of them said "As a <insert-label>, I say to you..." Although the apostle Paul introduces himself in all his letters as an apostle, he never uses this label as a badge to make himself look bigger, or as a stick to give his words more clout. If a man is lacking in anointing or gift, he cannot acquire it by invoking a label. If a man lacks authority in his words, he does not gain anything by "pulling rank!" Self-apportioned honour is worthless. If it was for Christ himself, it certainly is for us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice piece Chris. As I read it, I was reminded of the saying: "Empty barrel make the most sound".