17.8.05

Fear no evil

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. (Ps 23:4)

One of the consequences of the attempt to transfer all the works of God we dislike over to the devil, is we end up with a Devil we fear and a God we don't! This is totally contrary to the teaching of scripture. We are commanded and exhorted to fear God, and equally we are instructed not to fear the devil or his power. The fear of the Lord is an important topic that deserves a post in its own right; for now let us examine why we should fear no evil.

Bluff, bluster and deception are the enemy's tools; fear is his ally. He would have us believe that he is more powerful than he really is. He desires to have us running scared from what he threatens he could bring down upon our lives. Many Christians have swallowed the lie, and are constantly watching their back, believing every sniffle of a cold, or every unexpected bill is an onslaught from Satan himself.

God wants us to see him as he really is. Yes, he is an enemy, but he is a defeated foe. Even before his defeat at Calvary, he still could do no more than God allowed him to do. Satan could not afflict Job with anything more than God permitted him; the demons had to ask Jesus' permission before they could even enter a herd of pigs! There is no power struggle here. God is almighty; Satan is just one fallen created being.

There is a great irony in all the Devil's works: ultimately they serve the purpose of the one he so bitterly opposes. This is a great mystery; one that has puzzled philosophers and theologians alike for centuries, but whatever the explanations for the origin or the persistence of evil in the world, the result is clear: God works all things together for good. Even the greatest evil - the betrayal and execution of the Author of Life, by the cruelest means imaginable, God turned into the most wonderful means of life. God turned the enemy's weapon on his own head. Time and time again we see this in scripture: Haaman was hung on his own gallows, David used the sword of Goliath in his battles against the Philistines, Daniel's accusers were hurled into the lion's den, and so on. Even when God does allow us to face the wrath of the enemy, we should not fear: he is on a leash, and ultimately that which is intended to harm us will bring us into greater blessing, and recoil on his own head.


"I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him. Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." (Lk 12:4-7)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris: thanks for this excellent post. I have had to prove the truth of what you have written in my own life in these past weeks. It truly is an amazing thing to walk through the valley of the shadow of death (and that is key - keep walking) and yet have no fear, except the fear of God, which is life-giving. I have never felt so safe.

Marcos said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Marcos said...

Chris, AMEN. This was the story of my life. Fear kept me captive for years. It controlled the way I acted and controlled how I slept and went about my daily life. But, the Spirit of the living God has set me free. I cannot fear, I will not fear and I shall not fear. The Lord is with me.Because of Him I walk in assurance and peace.

Who is like our God? No one-Thank you Lord!----Marcos-

Chris Hamer-Hodges said...

Roger: Thank you for your comment. It's one thing to know the theory, quite another to walk it out. It is not just that you have proved the word in your circumstances; your circumstances have proved the word in you! You have been tested and proven to be of great worth.

You continue to be a great blessing to many, including myself.