22.8.05

Seen in a new light


There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light... While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!" When the disciples heard this, they fell face down to the ground, terrified. (Mt 17:2,5-6)

I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, and among the lampstands was someone "like a son of man," dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance. When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead... (Rev 1:12-17a)

Above the expanse over their heads was what looked like a throne of sapphire, and high above on the throne was a figure like that of a man. I saw that from what appeared to be his waist up he looked like glowing metal, as if full of fire, and that from there down he looked like fire; and brilliant light surrounded him. Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. When I saw it, I fell face down... (Eze 1:26-28a)

I looked up and there before me was a man dressed in linen, with a belt of the finest gold around his waist. His body was like chrysolite, his face like lightning, his eyes like flaming torches, his arms and legs like the gleam of burnished bronze, and his voice like the sound of a multitude. I, Daniel, was the only one who saw the vision; the men with me did not see it, but such terror overwhelmed them that they fled and hid themselves. So I was left alone, gazing at this great vision; I had no strength left, my face turned deathly pale and I was helpless. (Da 10:5-8)


One key to the fear of the Lord is our vision of Christ. How do we perceive him? As the baby in a manger? As the good teacher who was humble and full of grace? As an emaciated figure hung on the cross? Or as the Lord of glory -- majestic, awesome, holy, with all authority and sovereign power? A.W. Tozer wrote "What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us."

If we could catch but a glimpse of his glory, we would not have any problem with the fear of the Lord -- it would come naturally: we could have no other response. The disciples thought they knew Jesus well, they had eat with him, travelled with him, heard him teach, seen him perform miracles; they had shared his private moments. Yet they were still taken aback and fell down in awe and reverent worship when they saw him in his glory on the mount of transfiguration. Equally for us, it doesn't matter how long we have been walking with the Lord; we need to press in to see more of him and his glory.

You cannot see Jesus and walk away unchanged!


Open the eyes of my heart, Lord
Open the eyes of my heart
I want to see you, I want to see you
To see you high and lifted up
Shining in the light of your glory

-- Open the Eyes of My Heart, Paul Baloche

No comments: