18.8.05

In Safe Hands

Here is a little meditation on the hands of the Lord, to serve as an introduction to the subject of the fear of the Lord. It should illustrate what Roger shared in a comment yesterday - that the fear of the Lord actually makes us feel wonderously safe.

How can this be? Well, we fear the hands of the Lord because they are the hands that created the Universe. Compared to them we recognise how fragile and small our lives are. We understand the awesome power of the Lord, and that should he wish, he could remove our life in an instant!

Yet, look closer into those hands and you see something even more wonderous. Those same hands still bear the marks received on the cross; the nail-scars that forever proclaim to all the Universe how much we are loved, and the lengths he would go to save us.

Having our life in the hands of the Lord is the most fearful, yet the most wonderously safe place to be!


It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. (Heb 10:31)

It is I who made the earth and created mankind upon it. My own hands stretched out the heavens; I marshalled their starry hosts. (Isa 45:12)

Five bleeding wounds He bears; received on Calvary;
They pour effectual prayers; they strongly plead for me:
“Forgive him, O forgive,” they cry,
“Nor let that ransomed sinner die!”
-- Arise, My Soul, Arise; Charles Wesley; 1742.


I lay my life, in nail-scarred hands that paid the price for me,
opened up the way for me to be
here in your love.
-- Shepherd of My Soul, Matthew Ling.

No comments: