29.6.05

From the lips of infants

If anything even comes close to the wonder of salvation, it must be fatherhood! Being a dad has changed me forever, and has given me such a precious insight into the Father's heart of love.

This morning our son fell out of bed. He got stuck with his head on the floor and his body still on the mattress. He cried out: "My Dada! My Dada!" As soon as I saw what had happened I snatched him up, and held him close. His tears dried, and he was absolutely fine.

Sometimes we like to think we are very mature. We have the theology, the faith, the experience in our walk with God. We like to think we can cope with anything. But I felt stirred again, that though God wants us to be mature, when we are in trouble, what he responds to is that heart cry that expresses our relationship and dependence - "My Dada!" This is how Jesus taught us to pray, and how he himself prayed ("Abba, Father", literally means "Daddy God") Do we think we are more mature than Him??

For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father. [My Dada!]"

No comments: