22.6.05

Numbers 11 - Part 4

Time to return to Numbers 11, there is something else in this passage that is significant.

There is no exclusion for those in the purpose of God


However, two men, whose names were Eldad and Medad, had remained in the camp. They were listed among the elders, but did not go out to the Tent. Yet the Spirit also rested on them, and they prophesied in the camp. (v26)


This verse is not intended as an excuse to stay at home on a Sunday morning! ;-) For whatever reason, these two young men were not included in the natural, yet God still included them in what he was doing in the Spirit. God is not constrained by our geography or by meetings, he knows those he has called, and he will never exclude us from what he is doing.

When I lived and worked in Manchester I had a job that took me abroad for long periods of time. It was hard for me spiritually, and I often felt like I was missing out, and not being used as much as I would be if I was attending regularly. But God is so gracious! One Sunday morning in 1994, when I was located in the German town of Stade, I woke up early, alert and wide awake - which for those who know me will know is a miracle in itself! I felt God tell me clearly that I needed to go up a hill on the other side of town and pray. I went, and found in a clearing in the woods a park bench - not a soul in sight. I felt urged to pray for the meeting back in Manchester, that his Spirit would be outpoured and flow in a way that was greater than anything that we had experienced before. I stormed the heavens for about an hour, and then went back to my hotel room. That night I called up some friends back home - they were bouncing with excitement... guess what had happened. God had moved sovereignly on the meeting, people were falling over under the anointing of the Spirit left right and centre, and lives were touched and transformed in an instant. It was the beginning of the "Times of Refreshing" or as it was called elsewhere the "Toronto Blessing."

Now, I'm not claiming that it was my prayers that caused this to happen. It was a sovereign move of God. But because I had prayed, when I heard the news my heart leapt with excitement and praise for God. I may have been in another country far away, but God in his grace and mercy had still included me in what was going on back home.

Feeling excluded is a terrible thing. God never wants us to feel that way. Whatever events or circumstances may conspire to make us feel excluded, God wants us to know that he will never exclude us. If you are God's he can and will meet you and use you wherever you are. Those two men caused more of a stir than all the others put together!

< Part 3

No comments: