1.7.05

Did I read the manual?

Praise God for gadgets! I had fun playing with my new video camera last night. Was a bit frustrating though. I set it going to transfer from a previous tape I recorded onto my DVD-HDD recorder (another great gadget!) It takes about an hour to complete. Half way through it failed with a "copy protection" error. I'll have to dig out the manual to find what that's all about.

Maybe I should have read the manual before I started.... nah! But it did get me thinking. We often plough straight ahead into situations that seem familiar, without consulting God or his word, because we think we know what we are doing. This is how Joshua came unglued at Ai; after the victory at Jericho he thought he was a pro, he thought he knew what to do.

I have found out many times, yet still need to remind myself, that however familiar I am with the word - I still need it on a regular basis. Daily is best (though I'm not religious, or superstitious about this). When I read God's word regularly, even when it doesn't seem directly applicable to my current situation, I do better in life than when I just try to cruise on my reserves. Reading God's word keeps us on track.

Jos 1: 8 Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.


If you want some more on how important the word of God is to us, let me recommend Sue's Blog. Sue is a good woman of God, a member of Living Rock Church, and lives in Nuneaton (a great place to be!). She has just recently started Blogging, and is currently sharing on the importance of the word of God, based on her meditations on Psalm 119. Why don't you visit her site and give her some encouragement?

2 comments:

Sue said...

blush
thanks Chris :-)

Anonymous said...

I love Bob the Builder on this topic; to quote, "Instructions, Wendy, are for people who don't know what they are doing." This from the episode when Bob manages to build a cray golf windmill perfectly expect he's built it with himself inside!