5.7.05

Kingdom Purpose

I have decided to make some of my old teaching notes available to the readers of my blog on a relaxed licensing. Basically you are free to copy and redistribute them in any format (paper or electronic) without needing my permission, as long as you credit me as the author, do not use them for commercial purposes, and do not change them (apart from minor corrections) to say anything different.

First up are my Kingdom of God notes. This is part 1 of 9 (the rest to follow). Read the synopsis below to see if you want to download the file.

In this section we will explain what we mean by the Kingdom of God. We will discover that it is the essence of the eternal plan of God. It is the manifestation of his divine rule and authority on the earth, not confined to any geographic limits or even to the church. It is the heart of the gospel, the unifying thread throughout all of scripture, and it embodied Jesus’ ministry while he was on earth, and now he is in heaven. It is the ultimate triumph of this unshakable kingdom that will see the King return in glory.


Kingdom Purpose [pdf 82.4KB]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris - great notes and thanks for making them available. I would love to get greater clarification on your last paragraph. Are you saying that the kingdom will be fullfilled in all the earth and the church will be a spotless bride before Christ returns? If so, what is the basis of this? I am not Dispensational in my thinking but have always struggled to see the basis of this kingdom/church/eschatology teaching. It sounds great and I want to believe it but can't see it clearly in Scripture. Help?!

Chris Hamer-Hodges said...

Thanks for the feedback Doug.

Yes, I do believe that the Kingdom will fill the earth and the church will be a spotless bride before Christ returns.

The real question is what does this mean, and what will it look like? I'm not a post-millennialist; I don't believe there will be a heavenly utopia on earth before Christ returns. The parable of the wheat and the weeds shows there will be a coming to maturity of both good and evil at the end times - but the important point is that it is a field of wheat with some weeds in it, not a field of weeds with some wheat.

This is God's world, not Satan's. And it is God's Kingdom purpose that will prevail.

As for scriptures:
Ps 110:1, Da 2:34-45, Isa 9:7, Hab 2:14, Mt 24:14, Eph 1:9-10, Eph 3:10, Eph 4:11-13, Eph 5:25-27, 2Pe 3:12-24, Rev 19:7

But I will cover all this in more detail in the coming posts. Stay tuned!

Anonymous said...

Look forward to further instalments - don't tarry will you!