12.7.05

Isaiah 6

Isa 6:6 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

I'm reading through the book of Isaiah at the moment. It's one of those books where certain chapters jump out at you. It's all God's word, but there are certain sections which are particularly stirring.

The first of these chapters (to me anyway) is chapter 6 where Isaiah gets his commissioning. What I love about this passage is Isaiah's faith. His trust and his confidence (not in his own abilities) but in God. When God asks who should go, he immediately volunteers, even though he does not yet know what he is volunteering for. It is only afterwards that the Lord tells him what he is to do and what he is to say. But the fact that the request comes from God is enough for him, he doesn't need to know any more.

He reminds me of that other hero of faith - Abraham. In Hebrews 11 we are told "By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going." Again the fact that the call came from God was enough, he didn't need to know the details.

That's the kind of faith and confidence in God that we should have. He never calls us to do anything that is beyond us, or too difficult for us to achieve. He never sets us up to fail. He only has the best possible plan for our lives. When he calls us to do something or go somewhere - that should be all we need to know. I want to be one who jumps to my feet, not one who checks the small print.

2 comments:

Marcos said...

I found your blog via Roger's. And I have to say that I'm very blessed. Continue to blog!!

Chris Hamer-Hodges said...

Thank you Marcos and Mireya. I appreciate your comments.